Graduating from college can be a tough, but exhilarating experience for some individuals. Now is the time to put the books down and enter what we call the "real world". Some of you may have jobs lined up already, while others may choose to return to living in their parents basement. Whatever route you take, use these resources to help ensure you will move on to a successful career.
For many fresh out of college, it can be a tough time as you have the degree all employers want, but lack the work experience that all employers usually require. It's these next four or five years that will really set the pace to a successful career.
Use these sites to explore careers, search for jobs, build job contacts and prepare yourself for life after college.
- LinkedIn - The world's largest professional networking site.
- CareerBuilder - Job Search.
- Vault - Research companies, careers and everything else related to your job search.
- CollegeGrad.com - Career website for entry-level job search for recent college grads.
- After College - Find jobs in the largest career network for recent graduates.
- College Recruiter - Entry-level job search and an assortment of career-related tools for recent graduates.
- GradSpot.com - A blog covering life after college with tools and services to ease the transition from college to the real world.
- Resume Builder - Build up your resume and put it on the web.
- Salary Calculator - Determine possible salaries based on location and job title.
- Career Assessment Test - A free career test to determine what type of career you are personally fit for.
- Example Resumes - A collection of free sample professional resumes for job seekers.
- Beautiful Resume Ideas - Make your resume stand out by using a unique design.
- Get Your Resume Noticed - A few tips that can help your resume stand out from the pack.
- Cover Letter Tips - Help on writing the cover letter. Includes tips, format and how-tos.
- Example Cover Letters - Free cover letter samples, including those specifically for recent college grads.
Job Interview Tips
- The Interview Cheat Sheet - 100 resources to help you prepare for your interview.
- How to Dress for a Job Interview - Tips on proper attire for an interview.
- How to Prepare for a Job Interview - Steps to take before you enter the interview.
- How to Master the Job Interview - How to ace the job interview and get the job you want.
- 50 Interview Questions and how to approach them.
- Interview Questions and Answers - 23 of the most common interview questions and how to answer them.
Useful Career Articles
- Best Cities for Jobs - Also see the worst cities for jobs.
- Recession Proof Jobs - Protect yourself in a slumping economy with these careers.
- Companies with the Best Benefits - Ranks the top companies to work for based on various benefits.
- Best Places to Work for - America's top 100 employers, including detailed company profiles, top locations, and contact information.
- Highest Paying Careers - The top paying careers and their salaries.
- Top 50 Internships - BusinessWeek's list of the 50 Best Internships.
- Best Entry Level Jobs - A perfect list for recent grads.
- Best Internships - A top 10 list of internships based on actual work experience, benefits and perks of the job.
- Ranking of Grad Schools - America's Best Graduate Schools ranked in a variety of disciplines.
- Should you get an MBA? - This business school calculator determines the gain on your MBA.
- GMAT - The standardized test commonly used for admission into an MBA program.
- Salaries by degree - Check out your income possibilities of obtaining a higher degree.
- Applying to Grad School - The process, planning and requirements of applying to Grad school.
- Student Loan Consolidation Guide - Odds are you have accumulated a lot of debt while going to school. Consolidating your loans may make sense if you have multiple student loans.