After being busy with classes all term and having loads of homework and other obligations, the amount of free time you may have available during break may make you a little stir-crazy. Here are ten ideas to help fill that extra time you have during that much needed break.
- Enjoy the family. Some of you have been away from the home for quite some time now and may be getting a little homesick. You gotta love being able to get home-cooked meals again. Your family misses you when you go off to college, so be sure to spend some time catching up over break. Have a younger sibling back at home? Catch a movie together or play a board game.
- Read a book. Indulge yourself into a new book. This will keep you busy and keep your mind fresh and thinking.
Featured Offer: Download a free audiobook from Amazon.
Browse Amazon Best Sellers
30 books everyone should read before their 30th birthday
100 must read books
20 books everyone should read
- Take a vacation. Somewhere warm. Free your mind. Yes, your budget may be tight, but you deserve it. This is even better when combined with #1 and #8.
Use STA Travel for student discounts
Browse Priceline Pricebreaker Deals
- Look for internships. Now that you have a little down time, this is the perfect opportunity to start working toward some kind of career. The internship may be unpaid, but you'll get valuable experience that you'll need. You have to start somewhere and it's a great way to get your foot in the door.
Browse Current Internship Listings
How to Find an Internship
Recommended Internship Programs
Top 50 Internships
- Work. Whether you already have a part-time job or are returning to an old job you previously had, the extra time you have available is the perfect time to pick up some extra hours. The extra cash will come in handy.
College Job Search
- Study. It may sound lame, but this could be a perfect opportunity to get ahead in the classes you are taking once you return to school. This way you will be ready to participate in discussion on day one of class and really stand out as a good student. Nothing to study? Consider learning a new language.
- Catch up on movies. Hey, it's called a break for a reason, making it a great time for a little down time. It's alright to be a little lazy, you've worked hard all term.
Browse Amazon Best Sellers
Top 10 College Movies of All-Time
10 Films Guaranteed to Blow your Mind
- Reconnect with old friends. It's good to stay in contact with your old friends. Get together and meet for coffee. It's important to keep these connections.
- Take an online class. While you are on break, you should be able to squeeze in an online class and use it as credit toward your major. The good thing here is you can still go back home for break and still be working toward your degree.
Get more details and see what it'll cost you
- Volunteer. You may not have money to give to charity, but you can always donate your time. Plus, you can add the experience to your resume or use it to bolster your list of extracurricular activities.
How to Volunteer
10 Volunteer Opportunities for Free Travel
20 Ways for Teens to Volunteer